Well, as most of you who read my blog are well aware, my Grandma Huber's health has been slowly declining for quite a while now due to her Lewy Body disease. Within the past few weeks, she has taken a definite turn for the worst. It is now day #11 of her sleeping almost continually with no food or drink, so obviously she will not be with us much longer.
It is interesting how a situation you are mentally prepared for still brings about weird thoughts and emotions. I wouldn't say I am sad that Grandma is dying--at this point I am so thankful she can be in heaven. I guess the things that make me sad are the memories of times with her before she was diagnosed with the disease.
One memory that keeps coming back to mind....... I think I was in late elementary/early middle school, and I was spending the evening over at Grandma's. We had been doing arm wrestling in P.E. @ school, and I decided that I wanted to arm wrestle Grandma. I remember thinking that, being spry and young, I should be able to beat her pretty easily. Well, much to my surprise, she arm wrestled me and gave me a run for my money! I remember her just laughing and saying "I'm a little stronger than you thought, huh?" Looking back, I am guessing she probably took it pretty easy on me. Funny how your perspective changes a bit from age 11 to 20. :)
Anyway, I don't want to ramble on for forever, but I did want to somehow acknowledge my Grandma for the amazing woman she has been in my life. She has been a consistent, Godly example and one of the most loving, caring Grandmas in the whole world. She even has a great sense of humor (or great sense of Huber, as dad would say) to boot. :)
I know you'll never read this Grandma, but I love you immensely. Thanks for all you've represented, for all you've stood for, and for letting God use you in amazing ways. You will be dearly missed!
1 comment:
Christen...I loved this post. Your memory with her was so cute. I could just hear her. I know you spent a lot of time over at her house, and she loved having you come over! It was great seeing you this past weekend, and I'm sure I'll be seeing you in just a few days. Love you much.
Post a Comment