2 Corinthians 10 "....But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding....."
This little boy can hardly contain his jealousy over the fish the girl caught! I found this picture funny and thought it would serve as a good illustration to this post. :)
I don't know about you, but I find the above verse about not comparing myself to others very convicting. It is so easy for me to compare myself to others--and once I compare in one area of my life, it is generally not too long before I am comparing in every other area, as well.Lately I have found myself measuring my Christian walk or, for lack of a better word, "spirituality" by the lives of other Christians around me. It's really a pretty miserable thing to do-- I have found myself getting almost panicky at points because I feel like I am just missing it somehow--like my life seems so insignificant and unimpressive and if it doesn't play out like Rhonda's over there (not really anyone I know :) ), it is somehow on the wrong track.
I do think we should sharpen each other as believers. I also think I should frequently re-evaluate my spiritual walk.... but both of these things are a far cry from comparing my life and passions to those of the people around me.
I recently watched a talk by Beth Moore, and in the end of her message, she said (in so many words) "You run your OWN race! Don't worry about the other runners and don't even worry if their race course looks completely different from yours-- your race is between you and Jesus, no one else."
.......Which pretty much restates what I said, but hey, Beth Moore has a knack for saying things a bit more succinctly and eloquently than I. ;)
Anyway, I just wanted to share this thought because I have been feeling quite contemplative about it as of late. Feel free to share any thoughts or wisdom! :)
8 comments:
this is very good for me right now. to focus on my race and don't worry about what anyone else's looks like. thanks.
oh man my dear...i'm going to join your track team! this is a huge lesson for all of us...
keep on preachin it beth, eerr, i mean christen. (man, i get you two mixed up all the time)
looking forward to seeing that pretty little face of yours this weekend!
Oh I NEVER do this...I just always know that I am the MOST spiritual one around. Got you gagging yet?! No, seriously, I appreciated your thoughts Christen. It's so sad that I don't ever seem to learn this lesson. comparing myself not only in this area but in so many areas. It just spills over into my walk with God too. At times I think it's good for me to look at those who seem to be running fast and strong and really be motivated. But when it turns to discouragement and jealousy I know that Satan has turned a good thing into a really evil thing. So thank you for the reminder. I love you!!
haha Rebekah, your comment made me laugh. I totally agree with what you said, though! I hope you are doing great!! :)
I find it is hard not to feel guilty when someone close to you is super passionate or into a certain mission that I have little to no interest in. Then I start to wonder if I should...but it's so true. God gifts us all differently and gives us individual passions.
Love ya!
What makes it a challenge is that we try to guage talents or significance on things that we see, from our (my) human perspective, and sometimes think we can judge how important or used someone is by the "wow" of what they are doing---but when i think of Mary (Jesus' mother) or many other people in the Bible, they weren't necessarily people who were popular or getting a lot of attention when they lived. Who in Mary's town would have guessed that she would be spoken about for thousands of years?---But she was faithful to do what God told her to do. i have to keep reminding myself to be faithful in the small and every day things that seem so insignificant, if that is what God has called me to do, because works done to look big or for my glory will burn up and be of no value, only what is done for Christ with a pure motive will last.
i am doing a Bible study on Faith and the verses to read (where i was at) today, were 1 Corinthians 3:9-15 about works that will endure. It is convicting to me, to follow God, not to look around and compare (easier said than done!! :-)
Love you!
Good thoughts by all! What a spiritual blog you have going on dear Chrissy :)
How true Christen. God may (or really most likely) have a different purpose for each one of us, our different passions and styles are just as pleasing as another's. The key I'm finding in my own 'race' is that I shouldn't look back and see that I'm lacking the 'doing my best' factor. Even though my course doesn't seem as advanced or strong as the one beside me, At least I know, I'm doing my best that I can.
Post a Comment