The box

If you looked in the basement closet in our house, you would find 4 huge "boxes" for each of us kids that my Mom has updated with funny stories, art projects, pictures, and report cards since the time we were born. Last night I decided to look through mine, and it proved to be both interesting and entertaining.

I thought it would be fun to pass on a couple funny memories and some slightly embarrassing pictures. What I won't do for an interesting blog post!

My first discovery was that instead of the typical year or two year-long awkward stage that most kids go through, mine lasted for at least three.... 

5th grade--The good thing about this picture is that my smile is actually halfway believable, unlike in the other pictures. Yet, what am I wearing? Talk about butterfly bliss! And why do I have two clips placed symmetrically on each side of my middle part?!? For that matter, why do I have a middle part?

 6th grade-- I remember this being a hard year, what with the transition to middle school and all, and this picture does not lead me to believe otherwise. You may notice that my eyebrows look a little odd. I'm pretty sure I'm justified in blaming Emily for this one. :) I remember spending a Sunday afternoon at her house and her showing me how she often "shaved her eyebrows". "How much easier than plucking!" thought I. Unfortunately, the results were less than glamorous. 

7th grade-- Now by 7th grade, I was really starting to feel like I was getting it together--you know, less awkward, sporting Limited Too apparel more often than not, gelling my hair, etc. I remember really trying to look cute this day. "This will be the picture that I finally look decent in!" I thought. Yet alas, the resulting picture only left me wondering how I could have possibly gone wrong yet again! 

Oh middle school. Pictures and memories like these make me want to teach at the middle school level. :)

Another funny memory dates back to second grade and my participation in the "Young Authors" conference. I wrote a book titled "My trip to the Park", complete with a comment page for all of my family and friends to tell me what they thought of my story. I got lots of nice comments like "You did a wonderful job!" and "Your book is fantastic!" I had to laugh when I got to Rach's comment, though: "It was probably a good book, but I didn't really hear it. Love ya, Rachel".  

So funny! In Rach's defense, I also found numerous letters we wrote back and forth her freshman year of college when her absence from our home almost sent me over the edge. :) 

I am so glad my Mom kept a box of memories for us to look through now that we're "grown up". It made for a very entertaining Tuesday night. 
Category: 14 comments

14 comments:

mom said...

These are so sweet!! Maybe you will say that is the Mother in me??

(You do make me smile, though!)

smw said...

oh chris. bless you for the laughs. jaret and i are both in your debt. :)

looking forward to seeing you soon!
~shar

Kait H. said...

CHRIS! this makes me laugh because I just posted awkward pictures from high school.. soo funny! i am loving the 6th grade picture the best.
I never gelled my hair but i do remember butterfly clips... oh those were the days :)

Ashley Neuen said...

HILARIOUS!! You were so....uh, cute?! You should see my yesteryear pics....I come complete with a permed, up to the top of my ear bob for atleast three years in a row. What my mom was thinking with that haircut I will never know :)

emilykate said...

Hmm this motivates me to go through my 'box' at home. Yet another thing similar about our families. :) In my defense I do not remember showing how to shave your eyebrows...but I suppose I can be pretty convincing about a variety of things. Love the memories!

emilykate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney and Isaac said...

Hahah Chris this is hilarious! I'm afraid though, I have you beat in the awkward yearbook pictures... but I'm not as bold as you and prefer to keep those pictures locked away..far far away! Love ya!

Tami said...

These are hilarious!!! You look younger the older you get! :)

emilykate said...

PS

The middle part is back, btw. :)

Christen Leigh said...

Ew, really?! Well, I will probably be a few years late on that fashion train... until I am blind to its true ugliness. :)

sarah.flyingkites said...

funny, FUNNY post! I love it!

Ashton said...

That was great.:) You were so adorable!

mom said...

i noticed your 7th grade picture around here, and i think you would have said the awkwardness had left at that point, but no one got to enjoy that!!! :-)

love you, funny girl.

Kyle and Trish said...

Oh my gosh you are the funniest writer, I laughed aloud the whole time I was reading this ^_^ (trish)