This past week has been full of drives to Monticello, sampling wonderful foods, meeting new people, and serving tables. Last night was my first night as an official server and I was there from 5 pm until 1:30 am. I don't think I've been that exhausted in quite a long time, and I don't think the fact that Rach and I were up until 3:30 or 4 the night before helped matters any. :)
Working with my fellow pizza hutsters throughout the past week has already been extremely eye-opening for me. I have been reminded, yet again, how much I have to be thankful for and also what a sad condition the world is in.
My heart has been especially touched by a 20 year old girl I met a few days ago. She is cute and bubbly and I took her to be a typical college-age student home for the summer. After talking to her a little, I found out she has 2 girls and is living with her boyfriend. Yesterday she came into work visibly upset and I couldn't help but overhear her talking as she worked. She said how she had just bought her Mom a birthday gift, but was unable to give it to her because her Mom yelled at her, telling her she wished that she had never had her. The girl had tears streaming down her face the entire time she talked, and when one of the girls asked her why she keeps talking to her Mom after all she has done, she said "Because she's all I have!"
I wanted to throw down the pizza box I was folding and just hug her and ball, but figured that might have weirded her out a little because she had just met me and technically I wasn't even part of the conversation. :) Honestly, though, my heart just went out to her. I simply cannot imagine being continually rejected by the people I love the most. I also can't imagine living a life without salvation and an assurance of a God who loves me deeply.
Anyways, this story is probably not shocking to any of you, so I don't know why it moved me so much. Maybe it's the fact that she isn't my only co-worker with such a story. In fact, from what I have heard so far, a majority of them have similar tales to tell.
So if you think of it, please pray for these people so hungry for Christ's love--that each one could come to know Him in fullness!
Much Love!
8 comments:
Wow Chris! Sounds like you have an awesome opportunity!! Your love and compassion for others is one of the reasons you are an amazing roomy:) I love and miss you!!
Thanks for asking for prayer for the people working with you. May God give you the grace to shine brightly for Him, that many more will come to know Him fully. There are LOTS of hurting people who need His love. (everyone!!!)
Be safe on your way, while visiting, and back from Fort Wayne.
Love you!!
:-)
Thanks for asking for prayer for the people working with you. May God give you the grace to shine brightly for Him, that many more will come to know Him fully. There are LOTS of hurting people who need His love. (everyone!!!)
Be safe on your way, while visiting, and back from Fort Wayne.
Love you!!
:-)
These posting things act randomly sometimes. :-(. Sorry for the double post.
Ah, I'm proud of you. At the Trails, we only have to explain the buffet line and take drink orders and I still found that nerve racking at first! And it does sound like you have a fantastic opportunity to do more than just make or serve pizza. There are so many hurting people in this world, and sometimes all they need is someone to listen to them :)
Hi Christen!! It's good to see what you're up to. Sounds like you're going to have a great opportunity this summer to bless others in the name of Jesus! :)
Erin
Christen-
Wow...I'm so glad I read that. It was good to be reminded of how real hurt is in this life. I've been thinking lately how much I tend to live in a fairy-land world where I assume everything is happy and easy...it's not! I'm excited to hear more about what you're learning in life and I can't wait to see you this weekend to really talk about it. :) I love your crazy sense of love for others...It's awesome to see God use that in your life too. Thanks for being a great friend.
That was a neat story and I will pray that you can be the light and example to her. Maybe this is one of the reasons why God is having you work at Pizza Hut...to share the gospel with this 20 yr old girl. Sounds like she is lost and desperate for someone to love her unconditionally, and who better to love her than Jesus Christ. I pray you can share the gospel with her.
Post a Comment